Company: University of Utah Medical Group
Location: South Jordan
Posted on: June 6, 2021
As a patient-focused organization, University of Utah Health
exists to enhance the health and well-being of people through
patient care, research and education. Success in this mission
requires a culture of collaboration, excellence, leadership, and
respect. University of Utah Health seeks staff that are committed
to the values of compassion, collaboration, innovation,
responsibility, diversity, integrity, quality and trust that are
integral to our mission. EO/AA
- This posting is for a PRN Optician, meaning, part-time,
This position assists and educates patients in the selection of
eyeglass frames, contact lenses and lens enhancements. The
incumbent orders, dispenses, repairs and adjusts eyeglasses and
contact lenses. This position also provides office support and
assists customers with appointments.
Corporate Overview: The University of Utah is a Level 1 Trauma
Center and is nationally ranked and recognized for our academic
research, quality standards and overall patient experience. Our
four hospitals and seventeen clinics provide excellence in our
comprehensive services, medical advancement, and overall patient
- Assists and educates patients in the selection of frames,
contact lenses and lens enhancements based on the patient's
- Processes eyeglass and contact lens orders, which includes
pricing, measuring, collecting money, coding and documenting
- Teaches new contact lens wearers how to insert, remove, clean
and care for lenses.
- Repairs and adjusts eyeglasses while ensuring patient
- Manages inventory of contact lenses, eyeglass frames,
accessories, tools and office supplies.
- Provides office support by answering incoming calls, scheduling
appointments and checking in patients for appointments.
- Maintains clean, organized and stocked eyeglass displays.
- Performs finish lab skills including lens layout, edging,
tinting, frame assembly and repair, frame adjustment and
- Attends continuing education courses to keep informed of new
technology and advances in the optical industry.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the job as
- Ability to sell and service eyeglasses and contact lenses and a
demonstrated commitment to provide excellent customer service.
- Demonstrated human relations and effective communication
- Ability to problem solve in situations that may involve patient
comfort and satisfaction and dealing with irate or frustrated
- Ability to provide care appropriate to the population
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles of life span growth
- Ability to assess data regarding the patient's status and
provide care as described in the department's policies and
- Six months of experience working in an eye care related
position, or equivalency.
- Current RQI Healthcare Provider eCredential through the
University of Utah Health RQI system. The eCredential is to be
obtained within 30 days of hire.
- Additional license requirements as determined by the hiring
- Finish lab skills, including lens layout, edging and
- Frame assembly, adjustment and repair experience.
- Lensometry experience.
- National Contact Lens Examiners (NCLE) certification.
- American Board of Opticianry (ABO) Certification.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
Employee must be able to meet the following requirements with or
without an accommodation.
- This position involves intermediate working conditions in a
healthcare setting that may exert up to 50 pounds and may
consistently require lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, or
otherwise moving patients or objects, such as medical equipment,
while providing patient care. Workers in this position may be
exposed to infectious diseases and may be required to function
around prisoners or behavioral health patients.
We are University of Utah Health. Employment.utah.edu
Keywords: University of Utah Medical Group, South Jordan , Optician (PRN), Other , South Jordan, Utah
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!